Man Tasered by Aurora cops after jumping on cars dies
March 13, 2012 (AURORA, Ill.) (WLS) -- Aurora police are investigating the death of a 37-year-old Aurora man who died while in police custody Monday night.
Just before 10 p.m., officers responded to the 700-block of Fourth Avenue in reference to several 911 calls for a man acting wildly and jumping on parked vehicles. Police say Jersey K. Green, who lived on that block, was on top of a parked SUV when they arrived. When Green saw the first officer, he jumped off the vehicle and began running eastbound, an Aurora Police Dept. news release said.
Police say Green ran toward another marked squad car and jumped on the hood. Aurora police say as the officer was exiting the car, Green apparently moved toward him, so the first officer Tasered Green in the upper thigh and side.
The two officers then struggled with Green, who was eventually taken into custody with the assistance of a third officer, the release said.
Police say four minutes after officers arrived, an ambulance arrived for the suspect, but that Green became combative with paramedics and had to be restrained with the assistance of the police. He also spit out a bag that contained a substance that appeared to be crack cocaine, the news release said.
Police say 20 minutes later while still in the ambulance, Green lost consciousness and stopped breathing. Paramedics immediately began CPR and transported him to Rush Copley Medical Center where he was pronounced dead, the release said.
An autopsy on Green is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 11 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 292 missing, at least 3 dead 31 min ago
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 48 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 20 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand