NATO gets taste of Chicago food, blues in Belgium
March 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- From pizza to root beer and popcorn, a mini taste of Chicago is being sent to NATO members in Brussels, Belgium.
The group is meeting next Thursday to plan some of the summit NATO, and Chicago is feeding them -- Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza, Garrett's Popcorn, Manny's Corn Beef, Talbott Teas, Bergoff Root Beer and Fisher Nuts.
Chicago chef Stephanie Izard of Girl and the Goat restaurant will be cook for the group at the U.S. ambassador's home in Brussels.
"We've been anticipating it for a while so I've, luckily, had a bunch of events this week that kind of kept my mind off it and now that it's coming, oh wow, let's get ready," Izard said. Izard will represent Chicago and the city's ever growing culinary scene.
"We're just so excited to put Chicago on the map for culinary and I think it's just getting bigger and bigger. it's just exciting to be a part of it," Izard said. Izard said her original menu included more worldly cuisine, but she was encouraged to make it a more typical Chicago menu. She will take her signature goat dishes to Brussels.
Chicago's sending Blues legend Lonnie Brooks to perform after the dinner.
"Tell you the truth, I was trying to retire," Brooks said. "I feel good about it. I've been around so long and done so much here in Chicago."
The last time Brooks played Brussels it was at a music festival. Brooks says this will be a different crowd, but he expects to bring everyone together through music and leave them wanting a little bit more of Chicago.
Brooks is working on the set list, but Sweet Home Chicago will definitely be on it.
local, leah hope
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- 'Sexting' ends Evanston HS baseball season early
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos