Blago chief of staff sentencing postponed
March 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Rod Blagojevich's former chief of staff was scheduled to learn his fate Friday, but the hearing was postponed.
John Harris was convicted in the same corruption scandal that sent Blagojevich to prison.Harris' sentencing was postponed because of the judge's schedule conflict.
Harris had a big influence on ex-governor Blagojevich, who spent his first night in federal prison Thursday night.
Harris was Blagojevich's chief of staff for about three years. Now, Harris is going to ask a federal judge for probation for the role that he played.
In December of 2008, Harris and his boss, then-governor Blagojevich, were arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud as well as solicitation of bribery. Harris resigned as the governor's chief of staff days later. He entered a guilty plea soon after his arrest and was granted a deal after he agreed to testify against his former boss.
Harris, a former budget director for former Mayor Richard Daley, plans to cite dozens of letters to the judge supporting him as a good and decent man. Harris submitted a pre-sentencing document about a week ago detailing his lengthy Army service and some of the military awards he's received.
Harris has about 40 letters from high-profile people vouching for his character. He hopes that will mean something to the judge.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 23 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 32 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77