Man charged with shooting Chicago police officer
March 21, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Charges were filed Wednesday night in the shooting of Chicago Police Officer Del Pearson.
Paris Sadler, 20, allegedly shot Pearson in the chest during a foot chase down an alley in the 8400 block of South Kingston Avenue Monday night. Pearson survived and is hospitalized in serious condition.
Sadler faces charges of attempted first-degree murder.
"We have significant ballistic evidence. We have significant statements that all play into the charging of this particular individual," said Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy. "It's a very, very, very solid case."
Police say Sadler was one of a group of young men standing in the 8400 block of South Kingston about 10:45 p.m. Monday when 4th District tactical officers approached them. Sadler took off running and allegedly fired shots at the officers. One of them hit eight-year veteran Officer Pearson. He went down, bleeding profusely. He lost nearly two thirds of his blood. That's when his fellow tactical team members decided to take matters into their own hands and, according to doctors, likely saved his life.
"I have 17 years on the job. I have seen a lot of people shot. This was one of the worst bleeding situations I have seen. I just knew I could not wait for the fire department to get there. This needs to be taken care of now. So I just made the decision, let's take him," said Sgt. Christopher Kapa.
Police say Sadler has gang ties and bragged about them on his Facebook page. He is due in bond court on Thursday morning.
local, john garcia
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 47 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 36 min ago
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 40 min ago
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- ABC 7 To Go, April 16, 2014
12 min ago
- 'The Chew'?s Carla Hall
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos