Summit could disrupt rail lines under McCormick
March 29, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The upcoming NATO Summit could potentially inconvenience thousands of rail commuters on train lines that operate beneath McCormick Place, where world leaders will be meeting.
The U.S. Secret Service is considering shutting down several rail lines that run underneath McCormick Place during the summit. The possibility is part of a yet to be outlined security plan aimed to protect world leaders.
It is a busy set of railroad tracks that runs under McCormick Place. The Metra trains carry 25,000 commuters to and from the Millennium Park station each day. Amtrak also runs under McCormick Place, and Canadian Railways uses the tracks. In anticipation of the summit, a notice is up warning Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District riders that their service may also be affected.
Earlier this month, the head of the security firm working with the host committee said the temporary shutdowns were fair.
"These motorcades will be coming in in increments of several minutes and be offloading, so for the time period that it takes to get 50, 60, 70 heads of state at the facility, there will be some temporary interruption in traffic around the McCormick center," said Arnette Heintze, of Hillard Heintze.
It is expected that there will be a large security perimeter downtown. The boundaries of that have not yet been determined. Specifics will come most likely around mid-April.
local, evelyn holmes
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 1 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George 1 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary 55 min ago
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden 56 min ago
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home