3 Chicago children shot in separate incidents
April 12, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A young girl and her mother were shot inside their home while sleeping on the Far South Side on Calumet Avenue early Thursday.
Overnight, a 1-year-old child sleeping in bed was wounded in the head by a bullet fired from outside.
The incidents occurred on the South and Southeast Side.
Families raced to Christ Medical Center because children are Chicago's latest shooting victims.
"He didn't do nothing to nobody," said Christine Blanton, the victim's grandmother. "He can't even play outside. He's seven years old."
Relatives of 7-year-old Derrick Robeteau say he was shot in the leg while playing in front of his grandfather's home in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood.
"We moved over here to get away from this type of activity," said Derrick's grandfather, Derek Patrick.
Eighteen-year-old Qube Porter IV was also shot.
"I don't think he was the intended target," said Katrina Martin. "I think one of these house was the target and he happened to be in front of them."
Another child is being treated at Christ Hospital. One-year-old Jayilah Allen has a gunshot wound to the head.
"This is ridiculous," Katina Allen said. "Kids come shoot up your house. My little niece is one year old, battling for her life."
The baby and her mother, Tonishia Allen, were asleep when a bullet ripped through a relative's west Pullman home about 1:30 Thursday morning.
The mother was also hit, but has been released from the hospital.
"My daughter was laying on the kitchen floor and my baby was still in the bed," Allen's mother Tina Cornell said. "I went to check on them and that's when I realized they had been shot."
There was another shooting Thursday and another child shot.
A bullet grazed a 7-year-old girl's thigh on the Far Southeast Side.
She is in good condition tonight.
"Chicago Police Department is doing all they can," Andrew Holmes said. "But it takes this community and people who know others who have guns to pick up the phone and tell."
local, stacey baca
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 5 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 20 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 47 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 45 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway 30 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
20 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos