3 Chicago children shot in separate incidents
April 12, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A young girl and her mother were shot inside their home while sleeping on the Far South Side on Calumet Avenue early Thursday.
Overnight, a 1-year-old child sleeping in bed was wounded in the head by a bullet fired from outside.
The incidents occurred on the South and Southeast Side.
Families raced to Christ Medical Center because children are Chicago's latest shooting victims.
"He didn't do nothing to nobody," said Christine Blanton, the victim's grandmother. "He can't even play outside. He's seven years old."
Relatives of 7-year-old Derrick Robeteau say he was shot in the leg while playing in front of his grandfather's home in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood.
"We moved over here to get away from this type of activity," said Derrick's grandfather, Derek Patrick.
Eighteen-year-old Qube Porter IV was also shot.
"I don't think he was the intended target," said Katrina Martin. "I think one of these house was the target and he happened to be in front of them."
Another child is being treated at Christ Hospital. One-year-old Jayilah Allen has a gunshot wound to the head.
"This is ridiculous," Katina Allen said. "Kids come shoot up your house. My little niece is one year old, battling for her life."
The baby and her mother, Tonishia Allen, were asleep when a bullet ripped through a relative's west Pullman home about 1:30 Thursday morning.
The mother was also hit, but has been released from the hospital.
"My daughter was laying on the kitchen floor and my baby was still in the bed," Allen's mother Tina Cornell said. "I went to check on them and that's when I realized they had been shot."
There was another shooting Thursday and another child shot.
A bullet grazed a 7-year-old girl's thigh on the Far Southeast Side.
She is in good condition tonight.
"Chicago Police Department is doing all they can," Andrew Holmes said. "But it takes this community and people who know others who have guns to pick up the phone and tell."
local, stacey baca
- Dad says body in lake likely missing UofC student 11 min ago
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin 15 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Special session expected to form pension committee 45 min ago
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- IDOT proposes tolls for Illiana Expressway 52 min ago
- AMA recognizes obesity as a disease 36 min ago
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- Dad says body in lake likely missing UofC...
11 min ago
- Special session expected to form pension...
45 min ago
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos