Sailboat capsizes in Lake Michigan, 2 rescued
April 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An investigation is under way after two men were rescued from Lake Michigan when their sailboat capsized Wednesday afternoon.
Despite a small craft advisory in effect, Peter Kovats and a friend braved the conditions on the lake in a sailboat. Chicago Police responded when the boat went under.
"Today was a bad day to be sailing," said Officer David Johnsen, Chicago Police Marine Unit
When Officer David Johnsen and other members of his unit arrived just off Montrose Harbor, the men were conscious.
"One of the victims was asking us to rescue the other one," said Officer Brian Sheehan, Chicago Police Marine Unit.
"They were so cold they couldn't move their hands," said Johnsen. "We had to deploy one of divers to assist them. It really worked out textbook to us."
One boater was taken to St. Joseph Hospital. The other boater, who was suffering from hypothermia, was transported to Weiss Hospital
Kovats' wife, Mary, is grateful.
"The police did an amazing job," she said. "They're just wonderful. I can't thank them enough."
This wasn't the first rescue for Peter Kovats.
Last May, Mary Kovats rescued her husband and two sailing companions when fierce winds flipped the men's boat. Peter Kovats talked about it last year.
"I just blacked out and then, we were all happily found," he said after that rescue.
Peter Kovats did not talk to ABC7 Wednesday, but his wife spoke about both rescues.
"He thought last year was a fluke and he thought he was stronger than he was, but hopefully we're putting this behind us," she said.
local, stacey baca
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 58 min ago
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting' 23 min ago
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog 35 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos