Rooftop Pastor Corey Brooks taking violence vigil 'to the road'
April 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The pastor who spent three months on the roof of an abandoned motel to draw attention to violence in the Woodlawn and Englewood neighborhoods plans to take his vigil on the road.
Known as the Rooftop Preacher, Rev. Corey Brooks spent 94 days atop the roof of an abandoned motel in the dead of a Chicago winter.
On Sunday, Brooks plans to announce details of a cross-country walk across the United States to raise $15 million for construction of a community center in Woodlawn.
"The Pastor of New Beginnings Church of Chicago and the visionary behind Project H.O.O.D. (Helping Others Obtain Destiny) will take to the road by foot June 5, 2012," according to a statement released Friday.
More from the release:
"Woodlawn and Englewood have been the epicenter for much of Chicago's murderous violence. In 2011 Pastor Brooks lamented over the violence that claimed the 17 year old son of two of his congregants. When gunfire broke out directly outside the church at the time of the wake, Brooks knew he must do something to end the violence which had caused him to officiate over the funeral services of 10 young men age 25 and under in that year alone. He set out on a mission to bring awareness to the epidemic of gun violence in Chicago's Woodlawn and Englewood areas through a vigil in a tent on the roof of the abandoned motel for a total of 94 days. Phase I of his anti-violence awareness and fundraising campaign for $450,000 culminated with a donation of $100,000 from an unexpected source, media mogul Tyler Perry.
"Now with the purchase and demolition stages completed, Brooks is faced with the sizable task of raising $15 million for construction of the Community Center to service the resource-poor Woodlawn and Englewood neighborhoods. The Center will provide children and families on the Southside of Chicago with the same resources and activities available in the more affluent neighborhoods, attacking four societal ills as identified by Brooks (social, economic, educational and spiritual.)
- Mixed reviews for Red Line Reconstruction rush hour 1 min ago
- School closings march planned to protest CPS consolidations
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 16 min ago
- Burned body found inside Avondale dumpster
- Man accused of sexually assaulting, abusing teen girls
- Desiree Rogers named chair of Chicago tourism board
- School shooting remembered 25 years later
- Relative of murdered Chicago child fatally shot
- WWI submarine has underwater Lake Michigan grave
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Photos: Eva Longoria on night of wardrobe malfunction
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
16 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Mixed reviews for Red Line Reconstruction...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos