Hudson family murder trial to begin
April 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The trial begins Monday for the man accused of killing three members of Jennifer Hudson's family.
William Balfour is charged with murdering Hudson's mother Darnell Donerson, her brother Jason and her nephew Julian King.
Prosecutors say Balfour unleashed his deadly rage after learning Hudson's sister Julia, his estranged wife, was dating another man.
Jennifer Hudson is an Academy Award and Grammy Award-winning superstar.
She's promised to be in the courtroom every day and could take the stand.
Star struck jurors are a concern not only for the defense, but also prosecutors.
"They have to stay focused," said trial lawyer Susan Filan. "They can't resort to any kind of tricks or rest on the fact that they have a star member of the victim's family as part of the prosecution's team.
"I think she's made the personal decision that justice and family support far outweigh any bit of privacy that she would give up to be there for the people she loves," said ABC News consultant Howard Bragman.
- Chicago River dyeing a St. Patrick's Day tradition
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...