Fans hope goat walk will break Cubs curse
April 25, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It's still early in the baseball season, but five extreme Chicago Cubs fans are on a mission to break The Curse of the Billy Goat.They're trying to "crack the curse" by walking from Arizona to Wrigley Field with a 5-month-old goat named Wrigley in tow.
The guys arrived in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Monday. They began their journey February 25, which is also late Cubs announcer Ron Santo's birthday.
The Curse of the Billy Goat began in 1945 after the Cubs refused to allow the owner of the Billy Goat Tavern to bring his goat inside the game. Legend has it the man then told the Cubs they would never win a World Series again.
The guys say they hope to arrive in Chicago by Memorial Day. Their walk is also helping raise money for cancer research.
"Who's to say there is or isn't a curse? But if you believe it will be broken, it will be broken," said fan PJ Fisher.
"Hopefully they'll let Wrigley in, but that's up to the Ricketts family and the Cubs organization," said fan Matt Gregory.
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season
- Report: Judge to hear CPS school closings case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- Cook County sheriff provides free child ID kits
- Some construction suspended over holiday weekend
- Couple implicated in boy's death enter plea
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
- 7 in :77