5 shot near South Side intersection
April 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Police are searching for the gunman who opened fire on people waiting at a CTA bus stop Friday afternoon.
Police say a man approached the victims on foot outside Our Lady of Peace Catholic School, pulled out a gun and started firing.
Some of the dozen people at the bus stop jumped on to a CTA bus that became a shield.
In all, five people were hit by gunshots.
"They shot one of the girls in the back or the arm or something like that. and the boy I think got shot in the chest or back or something, and somebody else got shot in the leg," said witness Shantilla Moore.
Police say the gunman then fled in this minivan which was recovered, along with a weapon in the 7500 block of Essex.
"At any given time the person being shot could lose his life. Someone always wants to retaliate and the end result being an innocent kid being struck and killed by some foolish mistake," said activist Andrew Holmes.
Another 16-year-old was hit in the chest and is in surgery at Stroger County Hospital.
A 19 year old female hit in the side was taken to NW Memorial and is in critical condition, while a17-year-old male was taken to South Shore Hospital with a graze wound in the stomach.
Later a 20-year-old male with a hand injury walked in to south shore for treatment.
"You have certain individuals that just don't get the message about this gun violence," Holmes said. "Then you also have those on the other hand that can help solve these cases all it take is to pick up the phone."
local, ravi baichwal
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20 35 min ago
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win 1 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Special session expected to form pension committee
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Couple headed for Dwight, Ill., go missing, turn up lost in Mich. 42 min ago
- Firefighter in prison for wife murder still gets pension 41 min ago
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Fed suggests it's closer to slowing bond purchases
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Lunch Break