Durbin: Kirk making real progress after stroke
April 27, 2012 (WLS) -- Illinois Senator Dick Durbin says Mark Kirk is making "real progress" after suffering a stroke in January.
A recent photo shows the senator as he recovers at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
Durbin says he spoke with Kirk recently by phone, saying they had a good conversation.
He was asked if people should be concerned that Kirk hasn't made a public appearance.
"Let's give him a break," Durbin said. "This is life threatening in some circumstances. He made it through and he's coming back with a vengeance and a determination. Cut him some slack. Give him and his family and his doctors to get him in a position where he can face the press publicly and I know he will."
Durbin said he missed Kirk at his town meetings because the audience loves it when they disagree on issues.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 5 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 7 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All