Victims of small plane crash identified
May 3, 2012 (CRYSTAL LAKE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A small plane crashed in Crystal Lake Thursday afternoon, killing two people, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
The McHenry County coroner idenfited the victims as Hugh Scott Clark, 65, of Lake Forest, and Paul Sanfilippo, 82, of Grayslake.
The single-engine Beech 35 aircraft plunged into a marsh-like, muddy pit around 3:15 p.m. A passerby dialed 911.
"It was really loud, really loud," said witness Katie Garcia. "It sounded just like something blew up."
The crash site is close to Lake in the Hills Airport near Pyott and Virginia Roads in Crystal Lake. The terrain was so difficult first responders had to trudge to the scene on foot. Police say a bulldozer arrived, plowed a road, and then responders used all-terrain vehicles.
"Access to the scene was very difficult," said Deputy Chief Gene Lowery. "Unfortunately, when the first responders got to the scene they discovered that the plane had been seriously damaged and that both occupants were deceased."
Witnesses tell police it looked like the plane was trying to return to the airport.
"As it began its bank left, witnesses advise that they heard the plane decelerate and then begin to lose altitude and then didn't visually confirm it, but they heard a loud noise indicating that the plane had impacted," said Lowery.
The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crash.
"We just have to check the airplane, go through it and make sure it's OK," said Al Pattenaude, FAA investigator. "The airplane is secure, and we'll be back in the morning."
local, stacey baca
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25...
6 min ago