Demonstration planned for NATO summit opening
May 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A big demonstration is planned for Sunday May 20, the day the NATO summit opens at McCormick Place.
Several protest groups say they will also hold spontaneous marches as well.
A few of the groups are still in conflict with the city over parade permits.
Occupy Chicago and other groups announced its plans at a news conference Thursday.
Two separate groups threatened legal actions against the city. National Nurses United has until 5 p.m. to decide whether to take the case to the federal court. They say the city has been two-faced and then changing the rules of engagement. The nurses group wants to rally in Daley Plaza but the mayor argues the rally may draw a larger crowd than planned and want it moved to Grant Park.
The Iraq Veterans Against the War have a march planned through the gates of McCormick place where they want to hold a ceremony. Right now they are still in talks with the city.
"We knew when we heard that permits were being granted for the big protests," said Rachael Perrotta of Occupy Chicago. "We might have problems down the line. Those problems have sprung up. Unfortunately, Mayor '1 percent' Emanuel wants to keep people out of the streets."
Occupy Chicago and other groups were to offer reporters a preview of the events they have planned leading up to the NATO summit.
Some plans will be made public and some will be released via social media at the last minute to ensure they are not stifled by police action.
Protesters say many events will have different themes and their numbers are growing at the moment. Protesters from all over the country have already started to arrive in Chicago.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 48 min ago
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released 56 min ago
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting' 13 min ago
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog 25 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos