DCFS probe into alleged neglect after babies found dead
May 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Twin infants, 5 months, were found dead Thursday morning in the city's Little Village neighborhood.
The twins-- a boy and girl-- were unresponsive when police arrived at the home in the 4100-block of West 25th Street around 9:30 a.m. The deceased were identified as Julian and Giselle Romero, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.
Their father, Josue Romero, 26, told ABC7 he returned home Thursday morning after dropping off four of his other children at school and found his 19-year-old wife, Veronica Rodriguez, in tears.
"I went to the room and I noticed she was crying on the floor in the closet, holding her head," he said. "She was trying to give my kids mouth to mouth, CPR. I checked the babies, they were blue. There was nothing I could do."
A spokesperson for Department of Children and Family Services said both parents are under investigation for alleged neglect.
The agency has had previous contact with the family. On April 9th, a tipster called the DCFS hotline, alleging that the twins were neglected. In March of 2011, before the twins were born, DCFS officials say they investigated allegations of child abuse and neglect, not against the parents but other relatives. Shortly thereafter, in June 2011, DCFS says it opened a case with the Romero family, providing services and support.
Romero said his family, especially his wife, is having a difficult time.
"She's saying it's her fault. I'm saying, no it's nobody's fault, stuff happens. I wished this didn't happen like this," he said.
Relatives said Julian and Giselle had their own cribs, but they were found in one crib.
"It was an accident ... they do take care of their kids well ... I've been there with them," said said Ana Romero, aunt.
Area Central detectives are conducting a death investigation. Autopsies are expected to be performed on Friday.
local, stacey baca
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport 25 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913