Elk Grove High School baseball coach saved by line drive
May 14, 2012 (ELK GROVE VILLAGE, Ill.) (WLS) -- An accident on the baseball field saved the life of a suburban coach.
Steve Lesniak went to the hospital after he was hit by a baseball during practice at Elk Grove High School. An MRI revealed a giant aneurysm lurking behind his right eye.
The aneurysm went undetected until three weeks ago. The 27-year-old history teacher and baseball coach was overseeing team practice late last month when one of his players hit a line drive.
"I moved my head to the side, expecting the ball to hit the screen, and it went above it and got me right in the side of the head," said Lesniak.
Lesniak briefly lost consciousness, but shook it off.
However, the school doctor determined Lesniak had a concussion, and at the encouragement of family and friends Lesniak underwent further testing.
An MRI revealed shocking news: Lesniak had an aneurysm nearly an inch in diameter that had probably been there for years.
Doctors at Alexian Brothers Health System used tiny coils to block off the blood flow to the aneurysm. It is possible it could shrink over time.
Lesniak was back on his feet in a couple of days and hopes to go back to work next week.
In the meantime, he is grateful for the mishap that more than likely saved his life.
For more on this story, check out our news partner The Daily Herald's website and The Daily Herald newspaper Tuesday morning.
local, karen jordan
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 12 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 19 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 30 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 28 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
9 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
12 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
19 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
15 min ago