Grandma accused of draining college savings account
May 15, 2012 (HAMMOND, Ind.) (WLS) -- A former Hammond, Ind., woman is accused of stealing $100,000 from her grandson's college trust fund to cover gambling losses.
Edna Pate, 73, currently lives is Louisiana. The Gary Post Tribune reports Lake County Indiana prosecutors say bank statements show that over a 3-year period, Pate wrote 111 checks totaling just over $97,000 -- and she withdrew another $6,500 from a second education trust account.
Prosecutors say Pate had gambling losses of nearly $94,000.
- Officer in good condition following police chase 46 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...