Grandma accused of draining college savings account
May 15, 2012 (HAMMOND, Ind.) (WLS) -- A former Hammond, Ind., woman is accused of stealing $100,000 from her grandson's college trust fund to cover gambling losses.
Edna Pate, 73, currently lives is Louisiana. The Gary Post Tribune reports Lake County Indiana prosecutors say bank statements show that over a 3-year period, Pate wrote 111 checks totaling just over $97,000 -- and she withdrew another $6,500 from a second education trust account.
Prosecutors say Pate had gambling losses of nearly $94,000.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Fmr. student allegedly threatened Glenbard East H.S.
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Four schools spared during final CPS vote
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Memorial Day: Travel down, gas prices up
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos