Grandma accused of draining college savings account
May 15, 2012 (HAMMOND, Ind.) (WLS) -- A former Hammond, Ind., woman is accused of stealing $100,000 from her grandson's college trust fund to cover gambling losses.
Edna Pate, 73, currently lives is Louisiana. The Gary Post Tribune reports Lake County Indiana prosecutors say bank statements show that over a 3-year period, Pate wrote 111 checks totaling just over $97,000 -- and she withdrew another $6,500 from a second education trust account.
Prosecutors say Pate had gambling losses of nearly $94,000.
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover 48 min ago
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 20-40 injured at partial London theater collapse 22 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus