Grandma accused of draining college savings account
May 15, 2012 (HAMMOND, Ind.) (WLS) -- A former Hammond, Ind., woman is accused of stealing $100,000 from her grandson's college trust fund to cover gambling losses.
Edna Pate, 73, currently lives is Louisiana. The Gary Post Tribune reports Lake County Indiana prosecutors say bank statements show that over a 3-year period, Pate wrote 111 checks totaling just over $97,000 -- and she withdrew another $6,500 from a second education trust account.
Prosecutors say Pate had gambling losses of nearly $94,000.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 26 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home 15 min ago