NATO's exit from Afghanistan tops summit agenda
May 16 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago will be the center of attention for 24 hours as world leaders converge for the NATO summit. The meeting is expected to have global significance moving forward.
"Inside McCormick Place, NATO will be deciding how to de-emphasize its involvement, its footprints in Afghanistan and how to wind down its presence. It will be known as the Chicago accords basically," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
Afghanistan tops the items on the summit agenda, agreeing to means of support after the 2014 withdrawal; also, the economics of a coalition defense as most allies have faced financial hardship; and reaching out to NATO partners, particularly those in the Persian Gulf like Pakistan, which was recently invited to the summit.
"If you're going to talk seriously about Afghanistan you need Pakistan at the table," said Rachel Bronson with the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, a public education forum. "It's not clear that they're going to come but the offer is important because withdrawal from Afghanistan is on the table."
Kurt Volker, a former U.S. ambassador to NATO who was involved in five previous summits, says summits can give allies motivation to find consensus.
"If your leaders are going to get together, that's a start and people have to make decisions, reach compromises and put in place what may be done so when they get together it's all done. That's the first thing. It just creates an action-forcing event," said Volker.
The former ambassador also recalls frustration at previous summits at which there were too many speeches and not enough face to face time. He hopes organizers allow time in the brief 24 hours to get work done.
local, leah hope
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates