Mental health protesters march to Emanuel's home
May 19, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Protesters marched to Mayor Rahm Emanuel's home protesting closures of mental health facilities Saturday.
The protesters, many of them affiliated with Occupy Chicago, are angry with the mayor over his decision to close mental health clinics.
Several dozen of them have taken their message to the mayor's home, walking on the sidewalk out front and chanting, "Fight, fight, fight, healthcare is a human right."
The mayor was not at home at the time of the protest.
Some of the protesters have been going door-to-door in blocks surrounding the mayor's home, trying to talk to residents about their cause.
Leaflets left on doors essentially dispute the mayor's contention that closing six mental health centers actually both saves money and makes for improved services.
"This is not more service," said protester Dr. Lora Chamberlain. "Rahm spins it. Somehow, out of less he's going to make more. He thinks nobody can add. They are cutting services when we have a greater and greater need."
"There are people in this city that are not getting their share of the tax dollars that they are giving to the city," said protester N'Dana Carter. "If the city is supposed to be successful and healthy and safe, that everyone be made healthy and safe."
There were a couple of dozen protesters walking in front of Emanuel's home.
The protest has dispersed with reports that they are on their way back, but when they were at the mayor's home, there were more neighbors and reporters than there were protesters.
local, paul meincke
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party 48 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77