Hackers claim city, CPD websites
May 20, 2012 (WLS) -- The group Anonymous is claiming responsibility for bringing down two city-run websites, cityofchicago.org and chicagopolice.org
The city and police department websites went dark around 11 a.m. Users who tried to get onto those websites got error messages instead.
The outage lasted for about an hour and a half.
The group known as Anonymous claimed responsibility on Twitter for the attack, saying, "City of Chicago govt AND Police Dept taken offline."
Anonymous is an activist group known for hacking into websites and databases. The Guy Fawkes "V for Vendetta" mask is its signature.
The group also posted video online encouraging cyberattacks against the city and stating its opposition to the tactics used by Chicago police.
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area 30 min ago
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months 57 min ago
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home 50 min ago
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case 26 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
32 min ago
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
30 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with...
34 min ago