Hackers claim city, CPD websites
May 20, 2012 (WLS) -- The group Anonymous is claiming responsibility for bringing down two city-run websites, cityofchicago.org and chicagopolice.org
The city and police department websites went dark around 11 a.m. Users who tried to get onto those websites got error messages instead.
The outage lasted for about an hour and a half.
The group known as Anonymous claimed responsibility on Twitter for the attack, saying, "City of Chicago govt AND Police Dept taken offline."
Anonymous is an activist group known for hacking into websites and databases. The Guy Fawkes "V for Vendetta" mask is its signature.
The group also posted video online encouraging cyberattacks against the city and stating its opposition to the tactics used by Chicago police.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- 1971 disappearance solved; 2 teens ID'd in submerged car
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC 15 min ago
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing 5 min ago
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes 17 min ago
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77