Hackers claim city, CPD websites
May 20, 2012 (WLS) -- The group Anonymous is claiming responsibility for bringing down two city-run websites, cityofchicago.org and chicagopolice.org
The city and police department websites went dark around 11 a.m. Users who tried to get onto those websites got error messages instead.
The outage lasted for about an hour and a half.
The group known as Anonymous claimed responsibility on Twitter for the attack, saying, "City of Chicago govt AND Police Dept taken offline."
Anonymous is an activist group known for hacking into websites and databases. The Guy Fawkes "V for Vendetta" mask is its signature.
The group also posted video online encouraging cyberattacks against the city and stating its opposition to the tactics used by Chicago police.
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913