Michelle Obama, NATO spouses visit Chicago youth center
May 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- While the heads of state were at the NATO meeting at McCormick Place Sunday afternoon, their spouses were with first lady Michelle Obama at the Gary Comer Youth Center on Chicago's South Side.
Members of the South Shore Drill Team described their visit with first lady Michelle Obama as something they will never forget.
"I actually got to stand by her and took my picture with her," said Chavona Edwards.
The well-known dance troupe was among several groups who performed for Mrs. Obama and the spouses of NATO heads of state as they visited the Gary Comer Youth Center, which is located less than a mile from where the first lady grew up.
During the two-hour tour, the first lady went up to the center's rooftop garden and shared some inspirational words with the teens before she and her guests were treated to performances by an Africa dance group and selections from Soul Children of Chicago.
While some neighborhood residents welcomed Mrs. Obama's visit. Chicago public school teacher Andrea Reed had a more serious message for the visitors.
"Say yes to Chicago Public Schools," said Reed.
After the event. Mrs. Obama will head back downtown and host a number of gatherings including a dinner for the spouses of NATO leaders at the Art Institute.
local, evelyn holmes
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 13 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 32 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand