Michelle Obama, NATO spouses visit Chicago youth center
May 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- While the heads of state were at the NATO meeting at McCormick Place Sunday afternoon, their spouses were with first lady Michelle Obama at the Gary Comer Youth Center on Chicago's South Side.
Members of the South Shore Drill Team described their visit with first lady Michelle Obama as something they will never forget.
"I actually got to stand by her and took my picture with her," said Chavona Edwards.
The well-known dance troupe was among several groups who performed for Mrs. Obama and the spouses of NATO heads of state as they visited the Gary Comer Youth Center, which is located less than a mile from where the first lady grew up.
During the two-hour tour, the first lady went up to the center's rooftop garden and shared some inspirational words with the teens before she and her guests were treated to performances by an Africa dance group and selections from Soul Children of Chicago.
While some neighborhood residents welcomed Mrs. Obama's visit. Chicago public school teacher Andrea Reed had a more serious message for the visitors.
"Say yes to Chicago Public Schools," said Reed.
After the event. Mrs. Obama will head back downtown and host a number of gatherings including a dinner for the spouses of NATO leaders at the Art Institute.
local, evelyn holmes
- LIVE Coverage of Nelson Mandela Memorial 31 min ago
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 24 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
24 min ago