Michelle Obama, NATO spouses visit Chicago youth center
May 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- While the heads of state were at the NATO meeting at McCormick Place Sunday afternoon, their spouses were with first lady Michelle Obama at the Gary Comer Youth Center on Chicago's South Side.
Members of the South Shore Drill Team described their visit with first lady Michelle Obama as something they will never forget.
"I actually got to stand by her and took my picture with her," said Chavona Edwards.
The well-known dance troupe was among several groups who performed for Mrs. Obama and the spouses of NATO heads of state as they visited the Gary Comer Youth Center, which is located less than a mile from where the first lady grew up.
During the two-hour tour, the first lady went up to the center's rooftop garden and shared some inspirational words with the teens before she and her guests were treated to performances by an Africa dance group and selections from Soul Children of Chicago.
While some neighborhood residents welcomed Mrs. Obama's visit. Chicago public school teacher Andrea Reed had a more serious message for the visitors.
"Say yes to Chicago Public Schools," said Reed.
After the event. Mrs. Obama will head back downtown and host a number of gatherings including a dinner for the spouses of NATO leaders at the Art Institute.
local, evelyn holmes
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Friends, family of murder victim pray to end the violence
- Pets from Oklahoma shelter headed to Chicago for adoption
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- Step back in time at 'Wild West Town' in McHenry County
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings
- Notre Dame QB Golson no longer enrolled at school
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos