CPD divers rescue 2 from lake, third still missing
May 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Rescuers from the Chicago Police Marine Unit pulled two people out of Lake Michigan but were still searching for a third late Thursday night.
The missing girl's father identified her as Lexie Adu, 15.
Emergency rescue crews took over a Far North Side beach at Greenleaf and the lake as they searched the chilly water for the teen who was swimming with friends, according to witnesses.
Roger Concepcion says he jumped in to help one of the girls get out. "She was screaming that somebody needed help," he told ABC7.
Concepcion says the waves at the south side of the break wall were too rough to swim in so he made his way out on the north side, which was calmer.
"It was freezing," Concepcion said. "Soon as I got in there I lost my strength to swim. So I was kind of guiding myself on the wall to get as close as possible to the girl."
Paramedics took that girl to St. Francis Hospital in good condition. The mother of the missing girl collapsed and had to be transported as the search continued.
"It was a warm day today, but this water is still 60 degrees. That's cold water," said Ron Dorneker, Chicago Fire Department.
Police escorted one of the girls who was in the water in the water but she refused medical treatment.
The high winds made the search by air and in the water more difficult. It also made swimming treacherous.
Chicago beaches are not officially open until Friday when lifeguards will be on duty starting at 11 a.m. On Thursday, there were no lifeguards on the beach.
local, john garcia
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area 22 min ago
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months 18 min ago
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home 11 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Over 80 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- Fans, former colleagues remember 'Superjock' Larry Lujack
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
22 min ago
- Man believed to be Gacy victim found,...
6 min ago
- Toys for Tots gifts needed
30 min ago