Thousands 'Bike the Drive,' close LSD
May 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In a show of pedal power, thousands of bike riders made their way north and south on Lake Shore Drive Sunday for this year's Bike the Drive event.
Riders enjoyed uninterrupted biking while taking advantage of having the iconic Drive all to themselves.
This is the 11th year for Bike the Drive, which began at 5:30 a.m. Sunday. A 15-mile stretch of Lake Shore Drive was closed to vehicles and all open to bike riders. Participants could also choose to make it a round trip and go 30 miles.
"Me and my daughter have been bike riding for a couple weeks trying to go around; we live by Midway, so we've been going around Midway a few times and preparing for this day, because it's our first time," said rider Paul Santana.
Organizers said they expected 25,000 riders to join in the event. Anyone wanting to ride was allowed to sign up until 9:15 a.m., which was when registration was set to close.
After the ride, a festival with food and live music was scheduled.
The proceeds go towards the Active Transportation Alliance, a non-profit organization that works to improve biking, walking and public transit.
Rider were advised to stay hydrated because of Sunday's forecast for temperatures in the 90s.
Lake Shore Drive was expected to reopen to vehicle traffic at approximately 11 a.m.
local, diane pathieu
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- CTA: Ventra cards only possible by end of March
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits