Thousands 'Bike the Drive,' close LSD
May 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In a show of pedal power, thousands of bike riders made their way north and south on Lake Shore Drive Sunday for this year's Bike the Drive event.
Riders enjoyed uninterrupted biking while taking advantage of having the iconic Drive all to themselves.
This is the 11th year for Bike the Drive, which began at 5:30 a.m. Sunday. A 15-mile stretch of Lake Shore Drive was closed to vehicles and all open to bike riders. Participants could also choose to make it a round trip and go 30 miles.
"Me and my daughter have been bike riding for a couple weeks trying to go around; we live by Midway, so we've been going around Midway a few times and preparing for this day, because it's our first time," said rider Paul Santana.
Organizers said they expected 25,000 riders to join in the event. Anyone wanting to ride was allowed to sign up until 9:15 a.m., which was when registration was set to close.
After the ride, a festival with food and live music was scheduled.
The proceeds go towards the Active Transportation Alliance, a non-profit organization that works to improve biking, walking and public transit.
Rider were advised to stay hydrated because of Sunday's forecast for temperatures in the 90s.
Lake Shore Drive was expected to reopen to vehicle traffic at approximately 11 a.m.
local, diane pathieu
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 41 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 36 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 15 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 14 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
41 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
36 min ago