Record-breaking heat sends crowds to beaches
May 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sunday was steamy across the Chicago area, with heat breaking a record that was set more than a century ago.
Whether people enjoyed the sunny weather at the beach or elsewhere the day before Memorial Day - it was very hot outside.
"I am enjoying the and just getting out of the hot weather," said Ashley Zener in Lombard.
"God has given us a glorious day today to come out and enjoy - a hot day around cool water," said Lamar Pfleger.
Temperatures climbed into the 90s Sunday.
"With the hot weather today, we are expecting a little bit higher turnout than our normal weekend," said Jason Nell of Paradise Bay Water Park.
Of course, some people marked the weekend with the traditional picnics and barbecues as families, like the one of fallen soldier Captain Travis Patriquin, observe the holiday as well.
"Remember why this is Memorial Day - what this is," said Gary Patriquin, Travis's father. "Remember that people have given their lives."
Sunday afternoon, an exhibit was unveiled that features a traveling collection of 288 hand-drawn portraits of Illinois service men and women who have died since Sep. 11, 2001.
"Each and every one of these men and women is an all-American hero," said Gov. Pat Quinn.
This weekend also marks the unofficial start of summer. Some people hitting the road may benefit from lower gas prices.
"I have friends here, too - I have a fiancee here, and her family is sort of my adopted family, so, make the most of it," said Steve Cannon.
Even with a breeze off the lake Sunday, the heat meant it was important for beach-goers to remain hydrated to stay safe amid the sweltering heat.
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 48 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 43 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 1 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 4 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 21 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 1 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
48 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
43 min ago