Kirk unable to attend Arlington Heights parade
May 28, 2012 (ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Senator Mark Kirk, who's recovering from a stroke, could not attend Monday's Memorial Day parade in Arlington Heights.
He issued a statement on his web site honoring the country's fallen heroes. It reads: "For the first time in many years, I will not be attending the Memorial Day parade in Arlington Heights to show my appreciation and respect for our soldiers who have sacrificed their lives for this great country.
"Since experiencing a stroke in January, I am constantly reminded of the importance of family, friends and all those who make a difference in our lives; and of how important it is to demonstrate that we are grateful for those who give of themselves."
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash 25 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet 49 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 52 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple... 5 min ago
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77