Dog who fell off boat in river found on North Side
May 29, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Tank, a five-year-old Pomeranian, has been reunited with his family after falling off a boat into the Chicago River."Yesterday morning, we woke up to a nightmare and by midnight it was a dream come true," said Dr. Mark Lewis, owner. "It's just a horrible feeling not knowing where your child is, lost on the river somewhere,"
"We're overjoyed. We have our baby back, and we love him so much," said Linn Lewis.
On Sunday evening, Tank slipped off the back of the Lewises' small boat. He was wearing a yellow life jacket with the word "gladiator" written on it. The couple began an extensive seven-hour search down the Chicago River several times looping around Goose Island searching for Tank.
"I was convinced that Tank was not in the water or dead in the water and he was not on the shore because we would have seen him," said Dr. Lewis.
"We had faith that he would swim to shore and would find his way off and be running around somewhere," Linn Lewis.
The dog was found not far from where he fell off the boat near Lawrence and Kedzie. Katherine Santos says she was in the park walking her own dog when Tank ran right up to her. Santos said she saw media reports with a picture of tank and contacted the Lewises.
"My sister and I, we started looking online and we saw him ... and then we contacted them and told them we had him," Santos said.
Tank is happy to be playing with the Lewises' other dog Collie.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 33 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 29 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 29 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 21 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets 32 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 to Go, December 20, 2013
51 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
29 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos