10 injured in fire, explosion at Villa Park VFW
May 29, 2012 (VILLA PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Ten people were taken to the hospital following a fire and explosion at a V.F.W. hall in Villa Park Tuesday evening.
The fire broke out about 7 p.m. at a gun range located in the basement of the building while dozens of people were playing bingo upstairs.
According to investigators, the injured were workers doing repairs to the gun range. Two are in critical condition.
At least 50 people were already in the hall before 6:15 p.m., nearly an hour before the game was supposed to start.
"Over the years, all the gun powder probably built up," said Ronald J. Rakosnik, Lombard battalion chief. "They ignited the gun power, it appears, we are going to do an investigation right now. A fire occurred and when it got to the stairs ... an explosion occured."
Some of the workers ran up the stairs to warn the bingo players to evacuate as smoke filled the building.
"I have never seen smoke move like that," said Vivian Kanelos, bingo player. "When you see smoke blow in over your head, all of a sudden you realize you cannot see any more, it's scary."
The hall will be closed while firefighters complete their investigation.
local, karen jordan
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 23 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus