Lincoln Park store being demolished after fire
May 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Demolition is under way at Roy Home Furnishings store in Lincoln Park after a fire destroyed the business Tuesday.
The blaze broke out just before the afternoon rush hour at the store in the 2400-block of North Sheffield.
The massive fire took several hours to strike and forced the CTA to shut down three train lines for hours during Tuesday night's evening rush.
Three buildings must come down. What makes the demolition and cleanup a delicate situation is that one of the buildings is only a few feet from the CTA's Red, Brown, and Purple line tracks.
"There is a concern that once we start removing that building, we don't want to, you know, interfere with the train track," said Lt. Kevin Jones, Chicago Fire Department.
The family-owned business is an important fixture in the community. Owner Roy Warner Jr., who has been at the location for 31 years, was very emotional as he watched the building come down Wednesday.
The company employs close to 30 people. Johanna Parra has worked for Warner for seven years.
"It's very devastating," she told ABC7. "It is very emotional for him. It has been his life. He built the store from scratch."
"We're temporarily going to be relocated at our warehouse until we rebuild," Parra continued. "We have been getting a lot of support from all the neighborhoods, so it's been very nice and touching."
"I feel happy that they he will rebuild," said Larry Wilkerson, a Lincoln Park resident.
Demolition crews have to be very careful in bringing the store down because of potential hot spots in one of the buildings.
"It has been particularly tough to extinguish," said Jones.
The Chicago Fire Department says that the probable cause of the fire is careless use of smoking materials.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports 15 min ago
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game weather
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 23 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up 17 min ago
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela 17 min ago
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
23 min ago
- 7 in :77
26 min ago
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports
15 min ago