Humble genius earns medical degree at 21
June 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- He was an accomplished pianist at age 9. Now at 21, Sho Yano is the youngest medical school graduate in the history of the University of Chicago.
Sho earned his degree from the Pritzker School of Medicine and is about to enter a residency in pediatric neurology.
"It feels like a nice little accomplishment," Sho said. "I want to go on and do something bigger. I don't want to act like there is some particular reason I should make a great discovery versus any of my classmates so far."
Sho is a genius whose I.Q. is beyond what an I.Q. test can measure. He was reading at 2, composing music at 5 and as a very focused 9-year-old, entered Loyola University.
"I came to college to study, not to hang out or date," he said in 2000 when he entered Loyola.
Studying is exactly what he did. Sho said academics were easy; dealing with discrimination was the real learning experience.
"I ran into things like people shouting 'go back to elementary school' on campus," Sho said.
Being socially accepted at such a young age was easier while getting his PhD and medical degree at the University of Chicago.
Sho has always been a role model for his younger sister Sayuri. She is 15 years old, an accomplished violinist and attends John Hopkins University.
The Yano siblings say the pressure to do great things comes from within.
"If the pressure had come from anyone else like my parents, I wouldn't have been able to keep going," he said. "You have to be driven by something you want to do."
local, sarah schulte
- Exclusive: Boy 'on alert' after surviving pit bull attack
- Judge orders day care worker released from jail
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Religious display vandalized at Daley Plaza
- Sites suggested for George Lucas museum in Chicago
- Ravinia tickets on sale Thursday for 2014 concert season
- NTSB head calls for rail tank car changes
- Wortham lawsuit settled with Mississippi gun dealer
- Summer Infant recalls 800K baby monitors
- Divvy passes 1 million trip milestone in 9 months
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game