Neighborhood impacted from hospital move
June 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The old Children's Memorial Hospital is located in the heart of Lincoln Park and Saturday's move doesn't just affect the patient and their families or the staff, but the neighborhood, too.
It's been a staple in Lincoln Park for over 130 years and now that Children's Memorial Hospital is moving, residents in the neighborhood know things are about to change.
"It's going to be a big impact on the neighborhood, it's going to be empty holes," said Susan Adams.
"A lot of the coworkers contribute a lot to these businesses," said Blanca Martinez.
Just ask the folks at Clarke's Bar and Grill in the 2400 block of Lincoln Ave., a place hospital staff and families frequent.
"It's going to affect us more I think during the week, more so then the weekend, but you know if you lose two customers, that's two customers that's going to affect your bottom line," said owner Tom Tsatas.
Even though Clarke's has been here for 22 years, the move will have an impact on business.
"Things get better, they get worse, you just have to ride the storm, but it's going to affect everyone in the neighborhood," Tsatas said.
In fact, other restaurants nearby have even put up signs saying farewell to their customers, and offering free delivery to the new hospital.
Although Children's is only moving three miles away, it's leaving behind a big empty space, in more ways than one.
"I think the neighborhood is really anxious to see what's going to happen," Adams said.
local, diane pathieu
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 44 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 49 min ago
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western 16 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 36 min ago
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake