Chicago drops 2 spots in world's most expensive cities list
June 12, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Think Chicago is expensive? Think again. According to a survey on the cost of listing, Chicago is downright affordable.
On a national level, that is. Chicago's ranked at 110, right on par with Miami, in Mercer's Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2012. That's actually down a couple of spots from where the Second City was last year.
The only U.S. city to make the 50 most expensive list is New York City, at 32.
The ten most expensive cities in the world are: Tokyo, Japan; Luanda, Angola; Osaka, Japan; Moscow, Russia; Geneva, Switzerland; Zurich, Switzerland; Singapore, Singapore; N'djamena, Chad; Hong Kong, Hong Kong; and Nagoya, Japan.
U. S. cities are: New York City (33); Los Angeles (68); San Francisco (90); Washington, D.C. (107); Miami (110) and Chicago (110); Portland, Oregon (178) and Winston-Salem, North Carolina (195).
The Mercer study looked at 214 cities across five continents, comparing them on transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment.
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 2 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs 37 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car...
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery 20 min ago
- Man accused in sex assault of pregnant ex-girlfriend
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos