Hospital staff warned after attacks on doctors
June 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The staff at two Chicago hospitals has been warned to be on alert after two doctors were attacked.
According to a memo sent by Northwestern Memorial Hospital's security department, both physicians were attacked as they walked home alone from the downtown medical campus around 10:00 p.m. Both incidents were physical attacks only. There was no demand for property and neither physician was robbed.
An employee at the new Lurie Children's Hospital says staff has also received a safety warning.
The attacks have police and hospital personnel in the Streeterville neighborhood concerned.
"I'm surprised to hear in this area we have such attacks," said Harish Madhaban, resident.
Over the weekend police and paramedics responded when a man was beaten by a mob of several young people. It was just one of at least three incidents in the neighborhood area over the weekend.
The Northwestern memo offers common sense advice: stay as calm as possible; comply with any demands made for personal property; do not attempt to confront or intimidate an attacker; try to remember as much as you can so that you can help police; call 911 immediately to report a crime.
Authorities say the pattern is similar to several incidents last summer.
"I've already talked to Garry [McCarthy] on it yesterday and the day before as well as this morning, and we dealt with this last year and we're going to deal with it again," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
A spokesperson for Northwestern Hospital acknowledged the attacks and the memo, but said it is an internal matter and they can't comment publicly.
In the meantime, police say they have increased patrols in the area this week.
local, john garcia
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border 57 min ago
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 6 min ago
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores 12 min ago
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Deck the malls with security
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage 39 min ago
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's...
12 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos