Doctors attacked by mobs outside hospital
June 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- People who live and work in the Streeterville neighborhood are being warned to be on alert after two doctors were attacked outside Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The doctors were confronted by a group of people as they walked home alone from the downtown medical campus around 10 p.m. In both incidents, the doctors were roughed up, but there was no demand for property, and neither physician was robbed. The victims were not seriously injured.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital and the new Lurie Children's Hospital sent safety memos to their employees this week, alerting them of the attacks.
Recent attacks in Streeterville are putting people who live and work in the area on guard. On Sunday, a man walking home was attacked by a group of young people near DeWitt and Pearson.
"I'm new to the area. I live in the suburbs, so coming down here all the time is an adjustment anyways. And now I have another precaution to watch out, and it is kind of scary," said Sarah Kwasigroch, hospital employee.
"I have to travel to the rail line, and yeah, I'm concerned. I mean, you know, an attack happened right in front of the hospital, you would think someone would see it," said hospital employee Pamela Hall.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel said the latest incidents are similar to what happened last summer, and the police department is taking action.
"I have already talked to [Chicago Police Supt.] Garry [McCarthy] yesterday and the day before as well as this morning, and we dealt with it. And we're going to deal with it again," Emanuel said.
The alerts offer some tips. For instance, don't confront an attacker, comply with demands for personal property, and try to remember as many details about the attackers that you so you can.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 55 min ago
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage 40 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos