Air Force mom back from Kuwait surprises 3-year-old
June 14, 2012 (OAK LAWN, Ill.) -- A staff sergeant with the U.S. Air Force returning home from Kuwait surprised her 3-year old son Thursday at school in Oak Lawn.
Tonya Martinez is from North Carolina but left her son Justin with relatives here in the Chicago area. She was deployed to Kuwait the day after Christmas. It was the first time she had been separated from her son.
"I really haven't slept for like two days. Just been very nervous. And then I didn't know how he was going to react. If he was going to hug me or turn away. He can be quite an actor sometimes," Martinez said.
Martinez says they will stay here for a couple of days before returning to North Carolina.
- Frigid temps, sub-zero wind chills settle in 7 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas