Not all Chicago Park District swimming pools open for summer
June 15, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago has a hot weekend and a hot summer week ahead, perfect for a dip in a cool pool, but at least a dozen Chicago Park District pools are not open.
The pool water is tempting for anyone outside Friday.
McKinley Park pool opened and Heidi Kocur and her daughters didn't want to miss it.
"As soon as I noticed last night that it was open, I came over earlier (Friday) morning, got the schedule and got them back here. We just love this pool," Kocur said.
Chicago Park District was hoping to open all 74 of its pools Friday, but 12 are closed.
The twelve are getting some upgrades, but most notably they are getting new drains.
The new drains are to comply with a relatively new state law about the pool drainage systems.
The Illinois Department of Public Health requires public pools to have systems that reduce the chances of a swimmer becoming trapped.
A spokeswoman for the Chicago Park District explains some pools didn't require entirely new systems.
"The majority of our pools, we did a modification to the sump and then replaced it with a drain cover that has a less likely chance of someone getting attached to it, so the suction is less," Ellen Sargent said.
Drains are sometimes found in the deep end and help circulate the water.
McKinley Park got its new drain, not that most visitors would notice.
Yesenia Deluna brought her family and some neighbors to enjoy the first day at the pool.
"It's nice to see that they have it open because some of the pools aren't open yet. As long as the kids are happy, I'm happy," Deluna said.
CPD hopes to have all pools open by next Saturday.
local, leah hope
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 14 min ago
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS 3 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples 37 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos