Not all Chicago Park District swimming pools open for summer
June 15, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago has a hot weekend and a hot summer week ahead, perfect for a dip in a cool pool, but at least a dozen Chicago Park District pools are not open.
The pool water is tempting for anyone outside Friday.
McKinley Park pool opened and Heidi Kocur and her daughters didn't want to miss it.
"As soon as I noticed last night that it was open, I came over earlier (Friday) morning, got the schedule and got them back here. We just love this pool," Kocur said.
Chicago Park District was hoping to open all 74 of its pools Friday, but 12 are closed.
The twelve are getting some upgrades, but most notably they are getting new drains.
The new drains are to comply with a relatively new state law about the pool drainage systems.
The Illinois Department of Public Health requires public pools to have systems that reduce the chances of a swimmer becoming trapped.
A spokeswoman for the Chicago Park District explains some pools didn't require entirely new systems.
"The majority of our pools, we did a modification to the sump and then replaced it with a drain cover that has a less likely chance of someone getting attached to it, so the suction is less," Ellen Sargent said.
Drains are sometimes found in the deep end and help circulate the water.
McKinley Park got its new drain, not that most visitors would notice.
Yesenia Deluna brought her family and some neighbors to enjoy the first day at the pool.
"It's nice to see that they have it open because some of the pools aren't open yet. As long as the kids are happy, I'm happy," Deluna said.
CPD hopes to have all pools open by next Saturday.
local, leah hope
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot