Family hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning
June 16, 2012 (CHICAG0) (WLS) -- Nine members of one family on the far South Side had to be hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fumes from a malfunctioning water heater are believed to have sickened the family.
Emergency teams were called to the home at 102nd and South Hoxie just before 11:30 Saturday morning.
They ventilated the building and treated some of the residents at the scene.
A tenth person told us he didn't need to be hospitalized.
"I feel lucky," Emmitt Reynolds said. "Everyone is lucky because actually carbon monoxide is a very quite killer. You breathe it and don't know it. You wake up dead."
The nine family members complained of headaches, but none of the injuries appears to be life- threatening.
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus