Restaurant tour goes off the beaten path
June 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- George's Hot Dogs has been a part of the Bucktown community for more than 60-years.
It's well known to the locals, and will now be discovered by the culinary curious who have signed up for the food-tasting walking tour of Bucktown and Wicker Park.
Before the group sets off they head inside George's to taste a classic Chicago hot dog and to learn the history behind it.
The Bucktown-Wicker Park tour is one of three itineraries organized by Chicago Food Planet.
It also conducts tours in Chinatown and the near north neighborhoods.
On each one, a tour guide takes a group to several restaurants that are off the beaten path, which could explain why half of the clientele are Chicagoans.
"We're getting a lot of people from the city itself looking to take a three-hour vacation in their own city and really enjoy food along the way," said Chicago Food Planet's Shane Kost.
Along the way, the guide gives a little history of the neighborhoods and highlights architectural points of interest.
Then it's back to the best part, tasting something new.
"I've taken pictures of some of the food and sent them to my daughter and we're gonna do the tour again," said Lynn Walwer.
At the restaurant and dessert bar Hot Chocolate, it's the iced hot chocolate.
For the restaurants along the route, the tour is great for business.
"The people who come on the tour that might not be aware of the neighborhood or of the restaurant are now very aware of it and they come back," said Hot Chocolate owner Mindy Segal.
And can brag about their new favorite restaurant, 0r the best place to go for a hot dog or pizza.
For 9-year old David Frank, it's one thing in particular.
The Hot Chocolate place, their hot chocolate was very good," he said.
abc7 in your neighborhood, local, karen jordan
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend 37 min ago
- World mourns Nelson Mandela
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Illinois pension bill private signing questioned
- Local teams playing for Pop Warner football championships
- Chicago speed cameras added on North, South Sides
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Hanover Park man charged with indecent solicitation gets $250K...
- Victim ID'd, 2nd car sought after fatal Skokie tree crash
- Loop attorney, nephew charged with sex assault of man
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas 25 min ago
- Bitter cold expected to last through the...
37 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open in...
35 min ago
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next...
5 min ago