Heat wave continues in Chicago area
June 19, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On day two of the June heat wave, temperatures once again soared into the 90s and the humidity made it feel even hotter.
The extreme heat is causing a few problems, but relief is in sight.
"We do have a cold front on the way late tomorrow night and Thursday morning," said ABC7 meteorologist Jerry Taft. "That will cool off a little bit. It will certainly be less humid."
The heat wave isn't just tough on people. It may have caused a street to buckle Tuesday afternoon. Crews closed a portion of northbound Milwaukee Avenue in suburban Wheeling to traffic. According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, this was the only such incident reported Tuesday.
Divers in unincorporated Grayslake recovered the body of 44-year-old Richard Stoneking. He disappeared Monday night while swimming in Gages Lake. The sheriff's department says Stoneking and another man were boating when they decided to go for a swim. While they were in the water, the boat drifted away. Eric Oomens is charged with failing to report the accident.
And the recovery effort will resume Wednesday for a man missing in Lake Michigan off Beverly Shores, Indiana. Leonel Dominguez and a friend were on an inflatable raft Monday when it flipped. The friend was rescued.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 22 min ago
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary 11 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 6 min ago
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly...
25 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
22 min ago
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last...
11 min ago