Ex-Blago fundraiser released on $10M bond
June 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Suburban businessman Raghuveer Nayak pleaded not guilty to paying kickbacks to doctors in exchange for patient referrals.
Nayak, 57, of Oak Park, was arrested Wednesday morning at his home. He was indicted on 19-counts of fraud related to outpatient surgery centers he owns in Indiana and Illinois. He was charged with 10 counts of mail fraud, five counts of interstate travel in aid of racketeering, and four counts of filing false income tax returns for the years 2005-08.
Nayak is a former campaign fundraiser for imprisoned former Gov. Rod Blagojevich and Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. His name came up during Blagojevich's corruption trials even though he was never charged nor called to testify.
During a 2008 meeting Chicago's 312 restaurant, Nayak allegedly promised to raise $1 million for Blagojevich if Jackson Jr. was appointed to the U.S. Senate to fill the seat left vacant by President Barack Obama.
Nayak was also identified by Jackson as the campaign contributor who paid for airline tickets for Giovana Huidobro, the married congressman's so-called "social acquaintance."
Jackson has denied any wrongdoing. He has not returned calls from ABC to comment on Nayak's arrest.
Neither Blagojevich nor Jackson was mentioned in the Wednesday court hearing. Nayak was released on a $10 million bond secured by property. Judge Maria Valdez ordered the defendant not to leave the region or attempt any trip to India, where Nayak was born.
local, charles thomas
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 11 min ago
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores 17 min ago
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Deck the malls with security
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage 44 min ago
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
11 min ago
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos