No injuries in Lake Michigan boat rescue
June 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Marine units were called in to help when a boat with three people on board became distressed along the breakwall north of Chicago Avenue.
Three passengers and the boat were towed to safety at Diversey Harbor early Wednesday evening. No one was injured.
Emergency responders got a call around 4 p.m. about a boat in distress just off Chicago Avenue and the lakeshore. They sent out a full response team including divers, which were not needed.
A helicopter identified the boat's exact location since it was small and was not seen easily without binoculars from the shore.
"The craft itself was taking water. The motor was not working properly, so as a result they were kind of stuck out there," said Battalion Chief Steve Little, Chicago Fire Department. "The helicopter reported to us exact location of the boat and that the boat was secured to the breakwall, on the inside of the breakwall. We also had two fire boats coming out, and one of the fire boats was able to get to the boat and secure the boat and make sure the people were OK."
Little says during the course of the summer along the length of the entire lakefront there are one to two incidents a day. Most end well. However, he encourages all boaters to wear life jackets and tells them not to venture out on the lake alone.
All three passengers on board refused medical attention.
local, michelle gallardo
- Snow in forecast as shoppers brave deep freeze 39 min ago
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 48 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- Young singer with autism releases inspirational song 49 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Ran Hotel With Grilling Area
- Snow in forecast as shoppers brave deep...
39 min ago
- Young singer with autism releases...
49 min ago