'Nuns on a Bus' roll into Chicago, calling attention to budget cuts that help poor and needy
June 21, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- They call themselves the ''Nuns on the Bus:'' They are traveling the country, calling attention to the needs of the poor.
The Catholic Sisters made several stops in Chicago Thursday and ABC7's Theresa Gutierrez was there.
It's hard to miss the bus carrying a group of Catholic Sisters traveling across America on a nine-state tour called. Their purpose is to put a spotlight on proposed federal budget cuts.
The nuns are attracting crowds at every stop. Thursday, supporters waited for them in front of Mercy Housing Lakefront's Englewood Apartments for the Homeless.
"We are here to support the Sisters' message that we want a fair budget," said supporter Clair Noonan.
"Something needs to be done for the people," said supporter Melanie Jarvis. "We need to speak up."
The crowds were excited to see the activist Sisters exit the bus.
The sisters say they do not know who came up with the idea to drive more than 2.000 miles, through nine states ending in Washington, D.C., to get their message across.
"Our mission is to raise awareness of the House budget and to say it is not good for the United States," said Sister Simone Campbell.
Dan Taylor was homeless for years before finding shelter at Mercy Housing. He is thrilled the traveling Sisters stopped in Englewood.
"It makes me know that somebody cares," said Taylor. "These people, what they are doing goes beyond what normal people do."
The nuns say they will continue to fight for those who are hurting the most.
local, theresa gutierrez
- NLRB grants appeal in NU football players union ruling 3 min ago
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- 1888 shipwreck pictures in SF Bay released
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos