Retired CPD officer killed in Afghanistan firefight
June 21, 2012 (WLS) -- A retired Chicago police officer providing security and training in Afghanistan has been killed in a firefight in that country.
Tom Boyle was 62 years old and lived in Barrington Hills.
As a Marine, Boyle served in Vietnam and earned the Cross of Gallantry.
Boyle was on the Chicago police force for 30 years before retiring in 2000.
ABC7's news partner, The Daily Herald, was the first to report this story and will have more about the life of Tom Boyle in Friday's paper.
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park 13 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos