Retired CPD officer killed in Afghanistan firefight
June 21, 2012 (WLS) -- A retired Chicago police officer providing security and training in Afghanistan has been killed in a firefight in that country.
Tom Boyle was 62 years old and lived in Barrington Hills.
As a Marine, Boyle served in Vietnam and earned the Cross of Gallantry.
Boyle was on the Chicago police force for 30 years before retiring in 2000.
ABC7's news partner, The Daily Herald, was the first to report this story and will have more about the life of Tom Boyle in Friday's paper.
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across Chicago area
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 1 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton 37 min ago
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina 37 min ago
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen 35 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos