Retired CPD officer killed in Afghanistan firefight
June 21, 2012 (WLS) -- A retired Chicago police officer providing security and training in Afghanistan has been killed in a firefight in that country.
Tom Boyle was 62 years old and lived in Barrington Hills.
As a Marine, Boyle served in Vietnam and earned the Cross of Gallantry.
Boyle was on the Chicago police force for 30 years before retiring in 2000.
ABC7's news partner, The Daily Herald, was the first to report this story and will have more about the life of Tom Boyle in Friday's paper.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home