Retired CPD officer killed in Afghanistan firefight
June 21, 2012 (WLS) -- A retired Chicago police officer providing security and training in Afghanistan has been killed in a firefight in that country.
Tom Boyle was 62 years old and lived in Barrington Hills.
As a Marine, Boyle served in Vietnam and earned the Cross of Gallantry.
Boyle was on the Chicago police force for 30 years before retiring in 2000.
ABC7's news partner, The Daily Herald, was the first to report this story and will have more about the life of Tom Boyle in Friday's paper.
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Schaumburg couple injured in Oklahoma tornado
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- Kirk, Durbin supporting Pritzker as commerce secretary
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote 49 min ago
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
44 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois schools lack tornado 'safe...
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos