USS Illinois to join Navy fleet in 2015
June 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A ceremony was held Friday for the first modern Navy vessel to be named for Illinois.
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn joined secretary Ray Mabus at the USS Illinois ceremony at Navy Pier.
The Illinois is the navy's newest class of attack submarines designed for deep ocean warfare and shallow water operations.
"This ship, this USS Illinois honors the citizens of Illinois who have so strongly supported our military and it honors Illinois veterans, some of whom we have with us today," Mabus said.
It is expected to join the fleet in 2015.
- Oklahoma tornado kills 51, death toll expected to rise, M.E. says
- 1st weekday of Red Line Reconstruction
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- 'Pollen tsunami' in Chicago, allergist says
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- Pit bull attacks 9-year-old boy on South Side
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- 87-year-old accusing Trump says, 'Somebody had to stand up to...
- United Dreamliner 787 lands at O'Hare
- Photos: Reported fatal church van crash in...
- CPS protests, marches continue
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos