Online auction for mobster's diamonds, other jewels
June 26, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An online auction house plans to sell jewelry and other items that once belonged to reputed mobster Frank Calabrese Sr.
The items were found in a secret compartment behind a family portrait when federal agents raided his suburban home two years ago.
Calabrese is serving a life sentence. He was one of several reputed mobsters convicted in 2009 in a racketeering conspiracy that included 18 decades-old murders. He was blamed for 13, sentenced to life in prison and ordered to pay more than $24 million. The auction proceeds will go toward that restitution.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- Refinery fire after possible explosion
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary 51 min ago
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction 40 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy
- 7 in :77