16,000 lbs. of pot seized in Chicago bust
June 28, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police and federal narcotics officers say a huge drug bust will help decrease gang violence. Officials believe it is the largest seizure of marijuana in Chicago in at least 20 years.
The haul weighs 8 tons and has an estimated street value of over $40 million. It was seized Tuesday near a warehouse in the Chicago area.
Investigators had received information that a shipment likely originating in Mexico was headed to the area. The pot was apparently going to be divided and distributed through local drug suppliers and street gangs.
"When we make large seizures like this where we can affect the street level sale of narcotics, no matter which it is, it impacts on the crime in the city," said Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy.
Police have not made any arrests. They say the investigation is ongoing.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in 3 min ago
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims 23 min ago
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 12 min ago
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
12 min ago
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves...
3 min ago
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado...
23 min ago
- Lucas, Hobson donate $25M to After School...
22 min ago