Airlines scramble after Midway Airport power outage
June 29, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Storms could cause more delays Friday at Midway Airport, where airlines are still scrambling to get passengers moving after a power outage.
The power went out at Midway Airport for about four hours on Thursday, stranding hundreds of travelers on 85 flights that were either delayed, diverted or canceled. Airline officials scrambled Friday morning to get them re-booked.
"I'm trying to see my daughter in Indianapolis. And here I am. I spent the night on a cot," Doug Taylor said.
"I've been here since 6 o'clock last night. It's horrible," Amber Doherty said.
Aviation officials say the issue was with an airfield lighting vault, and that led to the loss of power to runway lights. ComEd crews that are helping to figure out the problem say all their equipment was working, so it appears to be an issue with Midway equipment.
"It's an uncontrollable. We didn't know what happened. It just is what it is and you just gotta stick it out," Carolyn Mitchell said.
Grace McWhorter has been traveling since Thursday. She was headed to her sister's burial, which she'll miss because of the delays.
"There's no words for it. She was my oldest sister," Grace McWhorter said. "Her interment is at 11 o'clock and I won't get to Birmingham until 10:30. And the interment is in our regional home of Morengo County, which is still another 2 hours away. So I won't get to see her burial."
Jean Field can't get a flight out to Norfolk until Saturday.
"My medications and everything else that I have on this trip are in the suitcases and we can't get them," Field said.
Based on initial assessments, ComEd officials say all of its equipment was performing smoothly and that this was likely a Midway equipment problem.
To add to the delays from the power outage, Midway officials warn that storms moving through the Chicagoland area on Friday could lead to more problems. Travelers should allow for plenty of time.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Report: 4 schools could be saved in CPS vote 28 min ago
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Gas Rewards: The Fine Print
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
- Maywood honors man who found missing toddler's body
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- Kellie Pickler wins 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Addison comfort dogs headed to Moore, Okla.
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
25 min ago
- Swim Safety Tips
18 min ago
- Dancing With the Stars Finale Highlights
12 min ago