Chicago boy, 9, drowns in Lansing pool
June 29, 2012 (LANSING, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 9-year-old boy trying to cool down during Thursday's heat drowned in a suburban swimming pool.
Christian Reese was at his grandmother's home in south suburban Lansing when he climbed the fence into a neighbor's yard with his 10 and 11-year-old relatives to go swimming. The grade-schooler was pronounced dead just after 7 o'clock Thursday night.
"We're devastated by the news," said Kimberly Jackson, victim's grandmother. "Christian was a loveable child."
Relatives gave conflicting information about whether Christian knew how to swim.
Police say the neighbor was unaware anyone was in the pool. The neighbor pulled Christian from the pool after the two other children called for help, but it was too late.
"The peace that we have is the fact that we know in our hearts that he doesn't have to suffer anymore and he is at home with the Lord," said Jackson.
"It's kind of scary," Edward Martin, neighborhood resident.
The Lake County Coroner's Office says the cause of Christian's death will most likely be declared accidental drowning. While the family grieves, they say hope talking about the tragedy will help save other children.
local, evelyn holmes
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 11 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago 2 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- 7 in :77