Chicago boy, 9, drowns in Lansing pool
June 29, 2012 (LANSING, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 9-year-old boy trying to cool down during Thursday's heat drowned in a suburban swimming pool.
Christian Reese was at his grandmother's home in south suburban Lansing when he climbed the fence into a neighbor's yard with his 10 and 11-year-old relatives to go swimming. The grade-schooler was pronounced dead just after 7 o'clock Thursday night.
"We're devastated by the news," said Kimberly Jackson, victim's grandmother. "Christian was a loveable child."
Relatives gave conflicting information about whether Christian knew how to swim.
Police say the neighbor was unaware anyone was in the pool. The neighbor pulled Christian from the pool after the two other children called for help, but it was too late.
"The peace that we have is the fact that we know in our hearts that he doesn't have to suffer anymore and he is at home with the Lord," said Jackson.
"It's kind of scary," Edward Martin, neighborhood resident.
The Lake County Coroner's Office says the cause of Christian's death will most likely be declared accidental drowning. While the family grieves, they say hope talking about the tragedy will help save other children.
local, evelyn holmes
- Oklahoma tornado in Moore kills dozens 12 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- 1st weekday of Red Line Reconstruction
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- 'Pollen tsunami' in Chicago, allergist says
- Governor, Mayor in high-stakes game of Chicago hold 'em
- 87-year-old accusing Trump says, 'Somebody had to stand up to...
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado kills 51
10 min ago