Thousands still in dark from storm aftermath
June 30, 2012 (OSWEGO) (WLS) -- Lockport may very well be the hardest hit community from Friday night's powerful storms.
Nearly 24 hours after the storm, generators are still the only source of power.
One resident had all three of his vehicles totaled when one tree fell onto them, bringing down the power lines and blocking the street, as well.
Cleanup crews have been working non-stop since 5:30 Saturday morning, removing tree limbs from rooftops and lawns.
At the height of the storm, nearly 60,000 ComEd customers were without power all over the south suburbs. And though most have seen their electricity restored since, several thousand Lockport residents are still in the dark. Not good news considering how hot it was again today.
Businesses have also been impacted. Papa Joe's, in downtown Lockport is one of several restaurants here that spent most of the day shuttered, until power was restored late in the afternoon.
ComEd said that as of 9:30 Saturday night, 5,600 people remain without power. They said they will have crews working throughout the night as they hope everybody will have their lights turned back on by the end of Sunday.
local, michelle gallardo
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 3 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 53 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child 21 min ago
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos