Thousands still in dark from storm aftermath
June 30, 2012 (OSWEGO) (WLS) -- Lockport may very well be the hardest hit community from Friday night's powerful storms.
Nearly 24 hours after the storm, generators are still the only source of power.
One resident had all three of his vehicles totaled when one tree fell onto them, bringing down the power lines and blocking the street, as well.
Cleanup crews have been working non-stop since 5:30 Saturday morning, removing tree limbs from rooftops and lawns.
At the height of the storm, nearly 60,000 ComEd customers were without power all over the south suburbs. And though most have seen their electricity restored since, several thousand Lockport residents are still in the dark. Not good news considering how hot it was again today.
Businesses have also been impacted. Papa Joe's, in downtown Lockport is one of several restaurants here that spent most of the day shuttered, until power was restored late in the afternoon.
ComEd said that as of 9:30 Saturday night, 5,600 people remain without power. They said they will have crews working throughout the night as they hope everybody will have their lights turned back on by the end of Sunday.
local, michelle gallardo
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park 16 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released 17 min ago
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77
10 min ago
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
16 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment...
17 min ago