Thousands still in dark from storm aftermath
June 30, 2012 (OSWEGO) (WLS) -- Lockport may very well be the hardest hit community from Friday night's powerful storms.
Nearly 24 hours after the storm, generators are still the only source of power.
One resident had all three of his vehicles totaled when one tree fell onto them, bringing down the power lines and blocking the street, as well.
Cleanup crews have been working non-stop since 5:30 Saturday morning, removing tree limbs from rooftops and lawns.
At the height of the storm, nearly 60,000 ComEd customers were without power all over the south suburbs. And though most have seen their electricity restored since, several thousand Lockport residents are still in the dark. Not good news considering how hot it was again today.
Businesses have also been impacted. Papa Joe's, in downtown Lockport is one of several restaurants here that spent most of the day shuttered, until power was restored late in the afternoon.
ComEd said that as of 9:30 Saturday night, 5,600 people remain without power. They said they will have crews working throughout the night as they hope everybody will have their lights turned back on by the end of Sunday.
local, michelle gallardo
- Fire at storefront church in Gary, Indiana 38 min ago
- Mayor to create grocery store task force 15 min ago
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 10 min ago
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in 14 min ago
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims 41 min ago
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
10 min ago
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves...
14 min ago
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado...
41 min ago